It’s the new year and a perfect time to showcase your leadership. Too many leaders fly under the radar. Often the boss, peers, and employees really don’t know what you’re doing or what you stand for.
In reference to your role, do people know your:
- Beliefs and ethics?
- Standards for conducting business?
- Key deliverables for the year?
- How you plan to accomplish these?
- The milestones and timelines for these plans?
- Expectations for your team?
Employees especially want to know their leaders and what they stand for. Many leaders rely on their “one-on-ones” with their direct reports as the only context for leading. While these meetings are critical and should be the mainstay, don’t miss the opportunities to lead in front of the whole team.
As you launch into the new year consider a half or whole day team off-site with your direct reports. Possible topics for engagement are:
- The team strategic plan (short and/or long term)
- Specific actions to be taken and timelines
- Accountabilities and responsibilities
- Operating principles (rules of engagement)
Any of these, and more, are fair game for a highly profitable session.
Some of the benefits? You will:
- Better define yourself, strengthening your leadership standing
- Gain clarity for what needs to be done and when
- Execute more deliberately
- Create more accountability…which leads to increased trust
- Get to know your team better
- Give them the opportunity to know you better and what you stand for
Inspire your team and kick off the year by leading out front and out loud!