As we come to the close of the year and closer to the Super Bowl, it seems appropriate to look at one of the NFL’s greatest leaders, Peyton Manning. With more career touchdown passes than any other quarterback in NFL history, Manning stands out and here are 8 reasons why:
- Executive Presence: Manning always takes elegant, deliberate control whether on the field with his team, with the crowd, or in front of the camera. He possesses a contagious calming and commanding presence.
- Undaunted Work Ethic: While something can be said for Manning’s natural abilities and fit for the role, he continues to demonstrate a disciplined commitment to always honing his skills. There’s a lot to be said for deliberate practice and hard work. (i.e. graduated in 3 years, summa cum laude)
- Team Orientation: Players love working with Peyton Manning. He cares and they know it. Oh, and they’ll work hard for him.
- Impatience With Slackers: Manning also holds people accountable. Certainly, no one would consider him any kind of a jerk. He has high performance standards and expects his teammates to demonstrate the same commitment.
- Sense of humor: Manning is light and can even be a little self-deprecating… which goes a long way. Humor takes the edge off and helps to keep things in perspective.
- Constant Communication: He constantly communicates with the members of his offense on the field, both verbally and nonverbally.
- Authenticity: Manning owns but doesn’t focus on losses. Take his 43-8 loss to the Seahawks in the 2014 Super Bowl, his media comments were real and yet forward focused.
- Humility: Peyton Manning is fully aware of and owns his successes. At the same time he is very quick to credit his leaders and teammates. I’ve never seen him even come close to gloating despite his many awards.
I could say more about Peyton Manning’s leadership qualities. But, frankly, this is enough to keep me thinking about my own leadership goals as I look forward to 2015.
Wishing you all a very happy holiday season and new year!